The envelop please......
1996 NAIS INVESTIGATOR OF THE YEAR GOES TO
The Nation's Cutting Edge Cyber Detective-A New Kind Of
By Ralph D. Thomas
[Check Out Mr. Seanor's
"Joseph Seanor is a very helpful person who's always ready and
to help a fellow investigator. God knows where he finds the time but he's
just got this thing about him- he wants to help people. He's already
taught hundreds of other private investigators about the Internet and is
helping to bring about the major mega-trend happening in our profession
right now which is the way all businesses will develop, hold, store,
exchange and distribute information rather it be written, oral, still photography,
motion photography or graphical. Information and communication in
all forms will soon be almost 100% digital and the impact that will
have on our profession is profound. The shift in the way business and
society as a whole is exchanging information and commuication will
change both the types of investigations our industry does and the way we
do them. The man with the expertize in this area in our profession
is Mr. Seanor. " Ralph Thomas, Director, National Association Of
Investigative Specialists, Inc., Austin, Texas.
The term cyberspace is best defined as a virtual world that lives inside
of a network of millions of computers all connected through the telephone
line and can be A/K/A'ed as the Internet. When you think about the Internet,
most people think about the millions of other people who are on it. Any
place you have that many people, you are going to sooner or later have problems,
have crime and have civil matters that need to be taken care of. We should
all know that when there are civil and criminal matters to be taken care
of, there is investigative work. Mr. Seanor is a new type of private investigator.
He's a cyber detective. He has combined his expertize in investigative work
and his internationally known expertize about computers and the Internet.
When I think of the types of cases that Mr. Seanor works, certain things
come to mind. Ghostbusters-remember the movie? Seanor is a kind of spook
buster in cyberspace. Turn the ghosts into computers and a modem line and
you know the types of cases Mr. Seanor works. He's both a computer hacker-cracker
and a professional investigator. Combine those skills and you have a super
cyber sleuth who can track down anyone across the Internet when they attempt
to commit Internet crime. I have seen some of Mr. Seanor's case load and
I can tell you that his clients are the big names in the computer and online
When I first started talking to Mr. Seanor on the telephone and learned
that he had not only worked for both the Department Of Justice and CIA,
I had this idea that he must be old because of all the things he had done
and the knowledge base he seemed to have. But Seanor is what one might call
an over-achiever in our profession. He's written a book called The Private
Investigator And The Internet (and he's writing another) and he just about
single-handily developed and set up what is now known as the PI Mall. The
PI Mall has already become a major force in the private investigative industry.
It's a fully interactive high quality world wide web site for other investigators
and the industry. Getting to know him has been a pleasure. He's a computer
genius, an investigative genius and must be a workaholic.
His development of the PI Mall, the internet newsgroup alt.private.investigators
and the internet mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org has taken untold man
hours of his time. All three developments on the internet are completely
free to other private investigators. This kind of stuff is more than a full
time job but Mr. Seanor's real cllient payng work is done behind closed
doors. The combined computer and investigative skills he has developed has
enabled him to track down hackers across the global network and prove the
innocence of another alleged hacker. Inside a computer, Seanor can built
a virual fire wall around anything in the box. He's tracked electronic fund
transfers internationally, closed holes in hacker attacks on major online
services and tracked down the criminals, caught employees corrupting computer
files on major corporate mainframes, tracked down frauds and con artists
on the Internet and provided high tech computer security for insurance against
sensitive corporate data for major blue chip coporations. His cyber-detective
work has already recovered millions in funds and stopped billions from being
stolden in cyberspace.
Joseph Seanor is also a very helpful person who's always ready and willing
to help a fellow investigator. God knows where he finds the time but he's
just got this thing about him- he wants to help people. He's already taught
hundreds of other private investigators about the Internet and is helping
to bring about the major mega-trend happening in our profession right now
which is the way all businesses will develop, hold, store, exchange and
distribute information rather it be written, oral, still photography, motion
photography or graphical. Information and communication in all forms will
soon be almost 100% digital and the impact that will have on our profession
is profound. The shift in the way business and society as a whole is exchanging
information and commuication will change both the types of investigations
our industry does and the way we do them. The man with the expertize in
this area in our profession is Mr. Seanor.
Private Investigative Industry Achievements Of Joseph Seanor
- Establishment Internationally As Expert In Cyber Crime Investigation
- Development Of The Industry Internet Mailing List: email@example.com
- Development Of The Industry Internet Newsgroup: alt.private.investigator
- Development Of The Industry Internet Web Site: The PI Mall
- Presentation Of The Internet at NAIS 1995 PI Convention
- Presentation Of The Internet at FAPI 1995 Seminars
- Numerous Articles Published in PI Magazine
- Article Published In: Private Investigator's Connection
- Authorship Of The Private Investigator And The Internet
- National And International Positive News Media Exposure
Mr. Seanor runs CIBIR which stand for Computer Intelligence, and Business
Investigative Resources .CIBIR is a company designed to meet the needs of
the corporate and Government concerns today and into the 21st century. The
areas in which CIBIR will provide work are:
- High-Tech Crime Investigations
- Premise Liability
- Financial Investigations
- Asset Searches
- Technical Counter-measures
- Employee Screening
- Security Consultation
CIBIR also provides Computer Investigative services for corporate and Government
clients. Computer Investigations include the following services:
- Computer Virus information, detection, and removal services
- Computer and Telecom security services
- Computer and Telecom incident investigations
- Corporate information and intelligence
- Competitor intelligence
- Computer security information
- Computer Security trends and analysis
CIBIR also teaches a series of seminars:
- Workplace Violence and Protection for Women
- Protection and Gathering of Computer Evidence
- Locating your Missing Spouse
- Recovering Erased or Destroyed Data
- Using On-line Databases
- Protecting your Company's Computers from Viruses
- Stopping the Computer Hacker
- Protecting your PBX/Voice mail from Hackers
- Investigative Techniques for Lawyers and Paralegals
- When it sounds to good to be true
Joseph Seanor spent over 10 years with the Federal Government perfecting
the skills which enable him to be called "one of the first CYBERSPACE
private investigators". During his tenure with the Federal Government
, Joseph specialized in Threat Analysis for government computer systems,
including analyzing and reporting on the latest computer viruses as well
as other threats to data. Bringing this knowledge and skill level to the
field of information security, Joseph identifies the "at risk"
areas and offers practical solutions to the challenge of information integrity
and the dangers of the Internet.
CIBIR Corporation specializes in investigating Computer Crimes, and as such
a large number of the cases they have handled have been in the area of Computer
Crime. A few highlights of some of
- Helped to prove the innocence of an alleged computer hacker.
- Tracked down a London computer hacker and closed the system holes.
- Tracked down a missing family member through the Internet.
- Tracked down a con artist using the Internet to promote his con.
- Tracked down a number of hackers of one system and closed the
- system holes.
- Provided Tiger Team work on corporate computers to locate system
- Provided analysis of hacker attacks on corporate computers.
- Provided analysis of employee destruction of computer files.
- Provided analysis of evidence for prosecution.
Past Case Work Experience
What other cases has CIBIR Corporation been involved with?
- Embezzlement of funds in excess of $1.2 million.
- Stock fraud and loss of over $4 million.
- Process service.
- Domestic surveillance of spouses.
- Surveillance of employees for corporations.
- Pre-martial background investigations.
- Skip tracing and recovery of fugitives.
- Location of missing individuals.
CIBIR And Joseph Seanor in the Media
CIBIR Corporation has appeared in numerous forms of media. Below is a list
of the media that CIBIR has appeared in for reference.
- Netguide Magazine, July 1995
- Internet World, September 1995
- PI Magazine, Summer 1995
- PI Magazine, Winter 1995
- PI Magazine, Fall 1996
- NAIS Newsletter
- Information Week, August 28, 1995
- Mt. Vernon Gazette, December 21, 1995
- Info-Security News July/August 1995
- Paper Products, December 1995
- The Discovery Channel of Cananda "Tech-Wars"
- World Radio Weekend
In addition CIBIR Corporation has also published "The Investigators
Guide to the Internet." This book is available from Thomas Publications
at (512)719-3595. Several other books are currently in the works from CIBIR
Congratulations Mr. Seanor, you are a tribute to the private investigative
A 21st Century Private Investigations Corporation
(703) 780-5703 Fax
CIBIR HAS A HOME PAGE
in the PI Mall so check it out.
To Find out how to order Mr. Seanor's book, The
Private Investigator And The Internet, click her.
ARTICLES YOU CAN READ BY JOSEPH SEANOR
Surfing The Net!
RETURN TO NAIS NEWSLETTER PAGE